Sports Luxe is a trend that started off huge in the womenswear category many seasons ago and has been picking up the pace in menswear season after season. This year we see two trends collide: The 90’s and Sports Luxe. Creating an almost polished grunge like aesthetic, blending luxurious staple garments with bold logos and more practical sportswear styles.
Louis Vuitton and Burberry sent models down their runways in puffa jackets, zip-up hoodies and bomber jackets – a surprising step away from their usual high-brow luxury silhouettes, opting for a look that is more commercial and accessible to guys interested in the brands.
The key to achieving this seasons look is to buy into the key pieces below. Remember – mix and match to avoid looking like a cliché! The aim of the game is to look carelessly cool. Choose one hero Sports luxe piece and match it with more refined garments.
- The Track Jacket – A versatile piece that goes beyond the gym. Wear layered over many different garments to add texture and honour the sports luxe trend.
- The Sweatpants – Wear with a short sleeved white shirt and leather sandals with socks to completely nail this trend (ok, socks are optional and for the more fashion-forward!)
- The logo tee – Insanely popular, the logo tee is back with a vengeance and the bigger the better! For a huge nod to the 90s decade choose either Ellesse, Kappa, Adidas, Levi’s, Calvin Klein or Tommy Hilfiger branded t-shirts.
- The Colour block sweater – Taking cues from Louis Vuitton, the block stripe sweater is an integral part to perfecting the sports luxe trend in 2016. The colour palette of choice? Red, Blue and White.
- The Sandals – Love them or hate them, sandals are huge for SS16 and even through to AW16. These classic leather sandals from Gucci will last you for years and are so versatile you can wear them to pretty much everything (check the dress code first though)
- The Shorts – A man’s best friend on those warmer days, the short gets a huge upgrade with this style from Acne. Cut from a tailored block and slightly longer, these shorts will do all the hard work for you. Wear with a colour block sweater, white socks and trainers for a flawless Sports Luxe outfit.
- The Bomber Jacket – Okay, so the Bomber Jacket isn’t exclusive to this trend and has been a ‘must-have’ to most trends for the past few seasons you really have no excuse not to already have one to hand for this season’s take on the trend. Invest in a style with stripe detailing or if it’s more your thing; a souvenir embroidered jacket.
- The Trainers – Step it up a couple of notches from your everyday Stan Smiths and Converse and opt for these beauties from Moncler. Crisp white with the brands signature navy, white and red stripes, they tick every box in the sports and luxury categories.
What are your thoughts to the Sports Luxe trend with a sprinkle of 90s magic on it? Let me know on Twitter @boyinbreton or leave a comment on this post!