Complex and contemplative, Ultra Violet suggests the mysteries of the cosmos, the intrigue of what lies ahead, and the discoveries beyond where we are now. The vast and limitless night sky is symbolic of what is possible and continues to inspire the desire to pursue a world beyond our own.
Enigmatic purples have also long been symbolic of counterculture, unconventionality, and artistic brilliance. Musical icons Prince, David Bowie, and Jimi Hendrix brought shades of Ultra Violet to the forefront of western pop culture as personal expressions of individuality. Nuanced and full of emotion, the depth of ‘PANTONE 18-3838 Ultra Violet’ symbolizes experimentation and non-conformity, spurring individuals to imagine their unique mark on the world, and push boundaries through creative outlets.
Historically, there has been a mystical or spiritual quality attached to Ultra Violet. The color is often associated with mindfulness practices, which offer a higher ground to those seeking refuge from today’s over-stimulated world. The use of purple-toned lighting in meditation spaces and other gathering places energizes the communities that gather there and inspire connection.
Below, I have selected a few of my favourite items in this dazzling hue that you can easily add into your home or into your wardrobe for the year ahead!
- adidas Originals Haven Purple Trainers Put a bit of ultraviolet into your step with this classics with a twist. Wear with black jeans, a stripe t-shirt and denim jacket for an easy laid-back look.
- Villeroy & Boch Oronda Vase Renowned for its creative eye, high quality and modern interpretations of classic designs, Villeroy & Boch continues to make a stamp in the world of tableware. An elegant silhouette that catches the eye, this glass vase will become the focal point of any room.
- ZARA Textured Weave Knit Sweater King of the high street, Zara are always at the forefront of trends. This textured weave sweater is perfect for layering in the beginning months of spring and will work just as well over a t-shirt and shorts in the height of summer.
- Pantherella Danvers Socks If wearing purple as a main garment is just a little too out there for your taste, try swapping your regular black socks for these striking ones!
- Contigo Stainless Steel Water Bottle Incase you hadn’t already noticed, drinks bottles are huge right now! Particularly ones that have the ability to keep cold drinks icy cold for over 18 hours and hot ones, piping hot for over 10 hours. With the world looking to decrease its waste through eliminating plastic straws and coffee cups – now would be a great time to do your part and invest in one of these bottles.
What do you think of this years Pantone colour? A yay or a nay from you? Let me know your thoughts in the comments or hit me up on Twitter @boyinbreton